Menu Bar

Home           Calendar           Topics          Just Charlestown          About Us

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Emails from Jim

Last Friday, 4 days after the last Town Council meeting, I received an email from Mr. Jim Mageau.

At first I was hopeful that it would lead to something interesting, but I found that hope fades. 

by Tom Ferrio

To get in the proper mood I suggest you look again at Mr. Mageau's talk before the Town Council last week, here. I also suggest that you review my Reflections article because that seems to be a key part of this story.

The (first) email from Mr. Mageau contained a number of accusations.While I will not copy that email into the article verbatim, the list of people he attacks is extensive: Deb Carney, Paula Andersen, Rep. Donna Walsh, Frank Glista and, of course, Bill DiLibero and Jay Primiano would not be spared from his wrath. Then I read the last line in his email:

"I'll bet that you do not have the courage to publish this email on your BLOG."

Mr. Mageau is so skillful in dealing with people... He could write his own book - How to Win Friends and Influence People, the Mageau Way.

After the email resided in my Trash for a few minutes I calmed down and sent him a reply asking for a date for a stated infringement of his civil liberties. I also asked to see the letter that he claimed proved the guilt of some of the parties mentioned.

I saw a nice opportunity to make a case study of carefully researching one of Mr. Mageau's screeds and publishing it as an article, giving a reasonable chance for his claims to be justified.

When I mentioned this to some friends they predicted that investigation would reveal that Mr. Mageau's claims were 10% truth and 90% fabrication. But they also were willing to bet that I would not receive adequate supporting information because looking at the facts is not Mr. Mageau's style.

I was pleased when, a few hours later, Mr. Mageau replied that he would get me the information as soon as he was able.

The next day I received an email from Mr. Mageau but it did not contain the requested information.

Click to enlarge


This email had some interesting information that I thought justified in sharing with you, our loyal readers. Of course you find out that I am intellectually dishonest. Ok, I can handle that, though he gives no basis for the claim. It's just a naked insult, meant to be endearing I guess.

Next we find out that Jim and Joe attending the Town Council meeting, and in fact entering town hall together and sitting together, was only the most extreme of coincidences. I'm sure they were shocked to see each other.

Further, we learn that Bill DiLibero's refusal to debate with Joe Dolock in front of the Town Council and the public means that he didn't even understand the meaning of the phrase Frick and Frack. I guess he decided to complain about it in writing to the Town Council without looking it up. At least that is what Mr. Mageau would have us believe.

He goes on to claim that my definition of Frick and Frank (a term of derision for any two people, on par with calling one person a "Bozo" or three people "Stooges"), from Wikipedia and other sources, "could be shot full of holes by any competent person." If Mr. Mageau was one of those competent persons I wish he would have shared his research refuting my definition. Remember that Mr. DiLibero stated that the Frick and Frack episode was accompanied by extensive laughter by Ms. DiBello and the town employee she was speaking with. That does not fit well with Frick and Frack being the ultimate compliment.

As an interlude for your consideration of this point, here is a video of the original Frick and Frack from 1944. You are free to imagine Bill DiLibero and Jay Primiano in those roles if you like.




Bill and Jay, what do you think?

Not done yet, Mr. Mageau expresses his displeasure with my use of the term "fair maiden" when referring to Ms. DiBello. I confess that I did not explain the visual image in my mind at the time, of Joe and Jim coming to the rescue of Ms. DiBello. I nearly added some Don Quixote imagery when I wrote that article but I resisted at the time and will not be more specific now.

Like a bulldog Mr. Mageau continues, making accusations about my position on Ms. DiBello's firing. I do not believe that I have taken a position on the justification, or not, for her firing, since I do not have enough facts surrounding it. I do believe there is more information that could be revealed.

In closing I look forward to Mr. Mageau's promised attacks against Ms. Carney and me in the Letters to the Editor. You may anticipate my discussion of them here.

As I said in a previous article - it will be a great year for the Westerly Sun!